This association shall be known as the Florida Tourist Development Tax Association, hereinafter known as FTDTA.
The fiscal year of this association shall begin October 1, ending September 30.Rules of Order:
All meetings and affairs of this association shall be conducted as provided for herin. If these Bylawas are silent as to a particular item, Roberts Rules of Order shall be followed.
The total membership shall be composed of two classes of members based on their individual County's Tourist Development Tax status:
1. Class I - Active Member qualifications.
a. The active Member's county must have adopted an ordinance providing for local collection and administration of the tourist development tax as prescribed in Florida Statutes Chapter 125.
b. Constitutional County members shall be compromised of elected county and city tourist development tax officials that are named within the ordinace as the responsible department or agency for teh tax collecting, audting, or enforcing functions.
c. Charter County members shall be comprised of the elected or appointed county and city tourist development tax officials that are named withing the ordinance as the responsible department or agency for the tax collecting, audting, compliance, or enforcing functions.
d. Authorized employees of the elected or appointed county and city tourist development tax officials that are named within the ordinance as the responsible department or agency for the collecting, auditing, compliance or enforcing functions.
e. There may be two or more departments or agencies within a county that are named within the ordinace as the responsible department or agency for the tax collecting, auditing, compliance, or enforcing functions.
f. Active membership may be terminated by the Board of Directors.
g. Each active member shall individually have one (1) voting right.
Class II - Associate Member qualifications
a. The associate member's county has not adopted an ordinance providing for local collection and administration of the tourist development tax as prescribed in Florida Statutes Chapter 125.
b. The associate member's county has adopted an ordinance providing for local collection and administration of the tourist development tax as prescribed in Florida Statutes Chapter 125. However:
i. The associate member is not an elected or appointed official that is named within the ordinace as the responsible department or agency for the tax collecting, audting, compliance or enforcing functions.
ii. The associate member is not an authorized employee of the elected or appointed county or city tourist development tax officials that are named within the ordinance as the responsible department or agency for the tax colecting, auditing, compliance, or enforcing functions.
iii. The associate member is an "other interest party".
c. Associate members are admitted upon approval of the FTDTA Board of Directors
d. Associate members had no voting rights
1. To promote communication between the Florida Department of Revenue and the local taxing officials.
2. To promote continuity between local taxing officials and the Florida Department of Revenue regarding taxes on transient rentals.
3. To develop and maintain a communications network and distribution system throughout the State of Florida providing the following to all members:a. Timely distribution of written correspondence and other materials relative to Tourist Devekopment Tax Issues, including but not limited to, minutes of meetings and statute or rule changes.4. To conduct, analyze and develop options and recommendations relative to proposed and/or enacted Tourist Development Tax legislation.
b. Expansion of the use of telecommunications systems (telephones, facsimile machines, etc.) by ensuring all Designated Contact Person's (DCP) are provided current membership listings and other pertinent information.
c. A forum for support, feedback, and cooperation for the benefit of the members.
The Board of directos shall provide leadership, guidance, and general direction for the association. The Board of Directors shall strive to set and accomplish goals and objectives for the association and its committees.Composition:
The Board of Directors shall consist of:Terms of Office:
a. One (1) elected President2. Each Regional Director shall be a Class I - Active Member of the FTDTA, as defined in Article III, shall represent one (1) region, and shall be elected from that region.
b. One (1) elected Vice-President
c. One (1) elected Secretary
d. One (1) elected Treasurer
e. Five (5) Regional Directors
3. The President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer, infividually, shall be Class I - Active members of the FTDTA, as defined in Article III, and shall be elected by the membership at large.
Each member of the duly elected Board of Directors will assume office on Octover 1st. Each shall serve a two (2) year term except the President and Vice-President, who shall serve a one-year term. directors from Region 1, Region 4, and the Treasurer shall be elected at the annual conference in odd numbered years with the Directors from Region 2, Region 3 and region 5, and the Secretary being elected at the annual conference in even numbered years. The President and Vice-President shall be elected annually at the conference. To provide for a smooth transition between Boards, during the interim period between elections and October 1st the newly elected Board Members shall be designated as President-Elect, Vice-President-Elect, Secretary-Elect, Treasurer-Elect, and Director-Elect, and each shall have full voting rights for all association business.Vacancies:
1. Any vacancy in a Regional Director position shall be filled for the remainder of the term by a member of the vacated region as elected by that regions' DPC's.
2. The President, upon receiving a notice of resignation, shall notify all DCP's of the vacated region and request a nomination from each. The person who has received the most nominations shall be designated to fill the unexpired term. If no one person received a majority of the nominations, the nominated names shall be distributed to the DCP's to vote. The person receiving the most votes shall be declared to fill the unexpired term.
3. If the President should resign, the Vice-President shall assume the office and serve out the remainder of the term.
4.If the Vice-President or Secretary, or Treasurer should resign, the Board will fill the vacancy for the remainder of that term by the selection of one of the Regional Directors. If no Director is willing or able to assume the position, the Board shall call for a special election to be handled in the same manner as a Regional Director vacancy except that it will be conducted throughout the five regions.
1. To provide leadership to the members of the Association in the achievement of the goals and objectives of the Board of Directors and the membership at large.
2. To prepare and preside over Board of Director meetings and the annual conference.
3. To appint committes as deemed necessary.
4. To conduct elections as may be required by vacancies on the Board
5. To receive all official correspondence of the Association
6. To appint a deignee as needed.
1. To provide leadership to the members of the Association in the achievement of the goals and ojectives of the Board of Directors and the membershp at large.
2. To preside of Board of Director meetings and the annual conference if the President is unable to attend.
3. Duties as appointed by the President
1. To record and distribute the minutes of the Board of Director meetings and the Annual Conference.
2. To prepare all official correspondence at the direction of the Board of Directors.
3. To maintain the office records of the Association.
4. To notify the President of any irregulatities.
5. To ensure the proper and timely filling of all required reports to any regulatory agency.
1.To secure and main the finances of the Association.
2. To maintain financial records and submit the records to the Audit Committee annually for review.
3.To report the financial status of the Association to the Board of Directors at each Board meeting and to the membership at the Annual Conference.
4. To receive and balance the monthly bank statements.
5. To oversee the collection and deposit of all funds for the Annual Conference.
6. To ensure proper and timely payment of all invoices owed by the Association
7. To notify the Board of Directors and Audit Committee of any irregularities.
8. To ensure the proper and timely filing of all required reports and returns to any taxing or regulatory agency.
1. To provide overall planning and direction for the FTDTA on an annual and long-term basis
2. To be available to assist in the activities of the FTDTA and provide contact with the individual members.
3. To oversee and direct committees as needed.
4. To encourage the exchange of ideas and information between members and other interested partities.
5. To take all necessary steps to ensure achievement of the FTDTA's mission and goals, to include but not be limited to, the accomplishment of committee responsibilities and duties.
6. To prepose amendments to the Bylaws approved by majority vote of the Board. The proposed amendments must be approved and ratified by a majority vote of the membership at any regular or special meeting prior to becoming effective. Written notice of such meeting containing the text of the proposed amendments must be firnished to each DPC not less than forty-five (45) days prior to such meeting.
7. To meet at least four (4) times during the year. A majority of the Board must be present or represented. Meetings may be conducted in person, by telephone, or in whatever other way that reasonably will allow the transaction of business, recognition of a quorum and is agreed to by the Board.
8. To call special meetings of the membership provided that at least thirty (30) days written notice is given.
9. To determine the structure of the five (5) regions.
These Bylaws shall be effective immediately upon arrival by the members in accordance with Article X of these Bylaws.
Approved by the membership this 5th day of October 2012, via Email vote.
Patsy Willbanks - President, FTDTA
Tamera Anderson - Vice President, FTDTA
Claudia Rilea - Treasurer, FTDTA
Greta Rawley - Secretary, FTDTA
Charlene Honnen - Director, Region #1
Brad Simmons - Director, Region #2
Jeannie Kroemer - Director, Region #3
Joan Dehler - Director, Region #4
Debra Hoskins - Director, Region #5